My Movie List – Eric Swanson
Eric Swanson has been a close friend ever since I let him copy off of my Algebra papers. Now, he runs through blogs like they’re cordwood, starting and killing at least five in the past three years, including “Letters to Keith Law,” “Letters to Famous Nouns,” and countless others that have been lost to the blogosphere dunk tank. He also plays guitar.
I was going to do a list of my ten favorite movie characters, but everybody knows that Walter Sobchak (The Big Lebowski) and Doc Holliday (Tombstone) are sweet. So I’m not doing that. Here’s something I really know and love:
my top ten movies that some people think suck, but are actually great (a.k.a. awesomely bad)
These are in no particular order, except for number one.
1. Point Break – Oh man what a great movie. Seriously, I think that the best five dollars I have ever spent was on a copy of this movie at Target. Too many great things to mention and we’ve all seen it, so I won’t add more.
Hard to pick my favorite quote but here goes.
Johnny Utah – “I’M AN FBI AGENT!”
2. Red Dawn – I have often wished that I could watch this movie for the first time again. When the Commies parachute in and start blowing kids and teachers away- pure cinema gold!
The quote was easy for this one.
Various – “WOLVERINES!”
3. National Treasure – I saw this movie in the cheap theater and it is awesome. I don’t know what it is about Nic Cage, but I am willing to watch him go through the most ridiculous situations (see also #s 4 and 7)
Alyson and I laughed out loud in the theater at this quote.
Young Ben Gates – “Are we knights?”
4. Face/Off – This movie would have been an easy pick for number one if not for Point Break. Nic Cage Rulz (when he’s in action movies). I gonna take a break here and watch this movie.
Lots of sweet quotes including Travolta being lame, but I like this one
Dietrich – “Hey Sean, How’s your dead son?”
5. The Rundown – People laugh at me when I tell them this movie is sweet. Then, The Rock takes out a building with his shoulder. ‘Nuff said.
The Rock’s shoulder – “BOOM!” (building falls down.)
6. Bloodsport – What needs to be said about this movie? Not a lot. Frank Dux enters a fighting tournament called The Kumite and fights a bunch of weird guys.
Some Weird looking guy – “OK USA”
7. Con Air – Nic Cage is sweet and this movie also has Steve Buscemi, Ving Rhames, John Cusak, John Malkovich and even Dave Chapelle. Plus, the plane totally drags a Corvette through the air and takes out the Hard Rock Cafe. C’mon, you can’t argue with that.
Cameron Poe – “Put..the bunny…back…in the box”
8. The Running Man – Arnold is forced to enter a future game show where prisoners run from weird gladiator types, including a lite-brite guy! And Richard Dawson is in it!
Ben Richards – “I’m not into politics, I’m into survival.”
9. The Mummy – I couldn’t decide whether to include this, or Bad Boys 2. I like this one a little better, so I went with this. It’s awesome and it’s funny in a bad movie kind of way. Brendan Fraser: not just Encino Man anymore.
Evelyn – You were actually at Hamunaptra?
Rick – Yeah, I was there.
Evelyn – You swear?
Rick – Every damn day.
10. They Live – Rowdy Roddy Piper finds special sunglasses that allow him to see which people are aliens as well as the subliminal messages they have put all around us. What more can I say?
Nada – I’m giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin’ that trash can.