A Short List of Halloween Costumes
It’s Halloween, and I don’t care much about Halloween. I do, however, enjoy making mixtapes on Spotify to post for you on the internet, and I also have senioritis with writing because most of my chapters for Web Project Guide are wrapped up.
- “Get Old Forever” — Jeff Rosenstock
- “Delicate Cycle” — The Uncluded
- “No More Words” — Pete Rock & InI
- “Turn the Light” — Karen O & Danger Mouse
- “I Wish I Was Stephen Malkmus” — beabadoobee
- “Punks in the Beerlight” — Silver Jews
- “Human” — dodie (f/ Tom Walker)
- “S.W.Y.M.” — Xiuhtezcatl
- “I Feel for You (Acoustic Demo)” — Prince
- “Forgotten Eyes” — Big Thief
- “How to Boil an Egg” — Courtney Barnett
- “Prior Things” — Hop Along
- “Soul Flower (Remix)” — The Pharcyde
- “Violent Reaction” — Refused
- “Talisa” — Daniele Luppi & Parquet Courts (f/ Karen O)
- “Romance” — WILD FLAG
- “Equation” — Hans Zimmer (f/ Camille)
So I’m making you this mixtape.
But, I have to write enough content so the sidebar doesn’t look weird. So here’s a list of some past Halloween costumes that I’ve worn.
Halloween Costumes that Corey Has Worn
- Once I was a vampire.
- Once I was a hobo. This involved me having a plastic cigar that I brought to school, which I realize now wouldn’t fly.
- Once I was Indiana Jones. This was as an adult, and it was the only costume I could figure out on short notice. I happened to have a leather jacket, and I had to borrow someone’s black whip. I don’t know what that whip was for, or whose it was, but I now suspect it was for something kinkier than Indiana Jones cosplay.
- Once I was an alien.
- Once I was a Care Bear. I think. (It turns out I don’t remember many of my Halloween costumes, but I feel like I saw this in an old picture once?)
- I now remember that I have been Indiana Jones twice, because I am uncreative when it comes to Halloween parties. I did not have the whip the second time.
- Once I was a tourist.
This last one was troublesome, because 1) it was very cold that Halloween, and my costume (which involved a ski sweater, a camera around my neck, and sunglasses) was not helped by a coat and a stocking cap, which just made me look like … a kid in a stocking cap with a camera around his neck. This was compounded by 2) this was fifth grade, and I was a tall kid, so not only did I look like I didn’t have a costume, but I also looked like I was too old to trick or treat.
I don’t remember a lot about trick or treating as a kid, but I VERY MUCH remember the woman who asked what I was (“I’M A TOURIST”) and her admonishment that I was probably too old to trick to treat without a costume.
That next year, I didn’t trick or treat anymore.
Hm… I think I’m maybe unlocking why I don’t care much about Halloween.
Anyway, enjoy the last-minute mixtape. See you in November.